There are several types of PCOS on what I like to call “the PCOS spectrum” and these types fall under three banners - synthetic-hormone induced PCOS, insulin-resistant PCOS, and inflammation-based PCOS. While there are specific treatment protocols I advise for each type, there are still crossovers between, and certain supplements benefit every woman suffering with PCOS.I’ve had my own PCOS in remission for some 20 years using my FLO Living protocol. Food is the foundation of this protocol, but supplements super-charge the benefits of those hormone-supportive foods. I personally had a combination of the PCOS types mentioned above and I was able to roll back the symptoms and regain my health and fertility with the Cycle Syncing lifestyle. Micki and Judith are just two of the thousands of women I’ve helped reverse their own PCOS since teaching the FLO Living protocol to women. In previous posts I’ve explained in detail why the two most commonly prescribed PCOS treatments you are most likely to be offered - that is, Metformin and the birth control pill – are not actually effective and moreso “band-aid” solutions that sidestep the root cause and don’t tackle the issue long-term. Briefly, Metformin is only right for women with insulin-resistant PCOS, and even for these women I still recommend only short term use of the drug, and always paired with proactive changes to diet and lifestyle. The birth control pill masks the problems associated with PCOS. It may suppress some of the symptoms short term, but they usually come back once you go off and can be exacerbated by compounded hormonal imbalance. The pill exacerbates many of the root causes of PCOS, including insulin-resistance and inflammation.The 5 best supplements for PCOS These 5 supplements will be beneficial to all women with PCOS, addressing the root causes of this common hormonal health issue.
- Cinnamon - taking this warming spice as a supplement is proven to stabilize blood sugar, which is essential for all hormonally-sensitive women, but especially those with PCOS. I recommend New Chapter for a cinnamon supplement, but you can additionally shake cinnamon on oatmeal, eggs, or enjoy cinnamon tea, like Tazo’s Cinnamon Apple Baked. Getting blood sugar balance under control is so important for moving beyond PCOS.
- Magnesium - most women are deficient in magnesium and magnesium is vital for hormonal balance. Magnesium is proven to improve insulin resistance, it’s anti-inflammatory, and it redresses adrenal hormones - all essential actions for managing PCOS symptoms and treating the root causes of PCOS.
- B6 - one root cause of PCOS is estrogen dominance, which is inextricably linked to progesterone deficiency. B6 is proven to increase progesterone production and is actually one of the best vitamins to boost this hormone. You can do this with B6 rich foods like bananas, grass-fed beef, and garlic, but you can also take a daily supplement.
- Selenium - this nutrient is essential for your liver, helping to detox excess estrogen and environmental estrogens like pesticides. It also boosts progesterone along with B6, supporting the development of the corpus luteum which creates all your body’s progesterone. As such, selenium is a double whammy for tackling the root causes of PCOS.
- Zinc - this mineral balances testosterone. Whether your testosterone levels are high or low (both possible with PCOS), zinc will have a positive affect. Several studies have shown how beneficial zinc supplementation can be for women suffering with PCOS, with relatively rapid results.
Always remember, that once you have the right information about how your body really works, you can start making health choices that finally start to work for you! You can do this – the science of your body is on your side!To your FLO,Alisa
We believe that no woman should suffer simply because she has a period.
And we also know that it’s not always possible to get access to functional and holistic healthcare solutions — sometimes they’re too far away and most of the time they are way too expensive.That’s why we offer phone and Skype consultation sessions with our FLO coaches.All of our expert FLO coaches have been trained by Alisa on top of being certified health coaches and licensed acupuncturists. And they are all qualified to help you find the right next step for you in getting out of hormonal chaos and into your FLO. Work with a FLO Coach and find your customized plan to solve your period symptoms.
Click here to book your counselor consultation