Feeling stressed and overwhelmed can lead to a cascade of hormonal health-rooted issues from fatigue, to low libido, to missing periods. When we get stressed, we tend to self-medicate with the tempting trifecta of sugar, coffee, and alcohol - sending our blood sugar on a rollercoaster ride, putting our adrenals in overdrive, and hampering the liver’s detoxification process. If you’re 35 plus and juggling career goals, childcare, your relationship and big financial decisions, all while going through perimenopause, elevated stress levels are going to make you feel like you’ve lost the plot. I hear your pain - it just never stops, does it? You climb to the top of one mountain only to find a whole range of mountains on the other side! You give, give, give to your boss, work colleagues, family, friends. Everyday your Facebook feed fills with the latest lifehacks that promise to fix it all and give you back your time, energy, and sanity. You try them, you feel more on top of it perhaps, for a while, but you still can’t shake the fatigue, combat the extra pounds, get back your desire for sex, or figure out your periods - you’re more organized, but you still feel lousy. So, what’s a woman to do? I’m going to say, right up front, the first thing you need to do is to stop trying to solve the problem with your thoughts! Being in our heads instead of our bodies and living from the neck up leads straight to Burn Out Town. Focusing on super-scheduling skills, to-do lists, end results, self-reliance, and resilience has us living through only our “masculine” energy. We need to tap into our “feminine” energy (all of us, men and women, both!) to access our innate ability to de-stress, intuit, create, and feel centered about everything that comes our way. Doing this will help your hormones, your health, and make you more productive, creative, and powerful in the workplace. I go to a lot of events where I speak to rooms full of women like you. The most popular question I’m asked is always - how do I avoid stress? Usually experts dole out strategies for organizing, focusing, dividing and dominating your time to make your day work for you. Strategies that are all coming from a masculine perspective on what works. What do I say…? Take a break. Take time out. Take a moment to be in your body instead of your head. Find time for pleasure. Make moments for reconnecting with your feminine energy. Do something that will help you connect with your heart and everything else will feel so much easier. I know this might sound wishy-washy when compared to the step-by-step guides to lifehacking, but I promise you that this is THE solution to de-stressing. This will help you bend time, make time, and regain time all in one go. You’ll stop watching the days blur into one long uphill struggle punctuated only by poor sleep when you just cannot switch off. You need to take some time, for yourself, to make time, for yourself, and for everyone else in your life. Otherwise, at some point, probably in your mid-30s when hormonal imbalance hits the fan - you will burn out. Just because you have ovaries it doesn’t mean you’re living in your feminine energy - it’s pretty likely, especially if you’re dealing with hormonal health issues, that you need to reconnect to this side of yourself. The female body, our bodies, quite literally created time through our cycles. Our body’s rhythms are what taught human beings the concept of time. So, isn’t it just perfect that the solution to managing your own time is reconnecting with your body? It’s the original lifehack! In the same way that I discuss living in your Flo through the month and helping your feminine energy mold your weeks, I suggest taking the same strategy to your day.
5 ways to avoid stress by using your feminine energy
We’ve come to hate the idea of procrastination, but I think it all depends on how you get your distractions! Not working is so important to the process of productivity. Taking breaks is not wasting time if you’re using those breaks wisely. You’ll boost oxytocin and let your natural stress relief hormones do the job they were made for!
- Get up and move! Try my one day movement plan for whether you’re at the office or at home. Feel and be in your body for a while. I love to take little dance breaks. I put on my favorite song and dance around the living room! I’ve even been known to do this in the middle of the night when baby has me up and about at 2am! How often do we hear men say that going for a run clears their head? Even the most high-powered masculine CEOs know the importance of getting in touch with their feminine energy to make them more productive, creative, and powerful. A walk around the block, alone, with a friend (on the phone or in person!), is energizing and enlightening. You’ll return to your desk feeling refreshed.
- Connect with your favorite humans! I am lucky in that I get to take breaks while working from home to cuddle with my daughter or have a little playtime. However, I also recommend taking 15 minutes to call your best friend and share a funny story and have a good giggle. Laughter can be the best medicine.
- Make your desk a peaceful sanctuary. Where ever you work, set it up so you can take breaks to, literally, smell the roses. Buy fresh flowers during your lunchbreak, or have them delivered (the glamour!). Set up an aromatherapy essential oil diffuser. Have photos of your loved ones that inspired happy, blissful memories. Linger on all these elements every once in awhile throughout the day and take pleasure in them.
- Make time to for self-pleasure! Spend 20 minutes alone with some coconut oil and follow my WomanCode tips for an orgasm every time. It’s super important that you do this au natural - without vibrators and other accessories - there are some good reasons why this can actually hold you back.
- Read stories. New research shows that reading fiction “deeply” or “pleasure reading” as it’s also called - that means getting totally immersed in a good book instead of skimming articles on the internet - can make us feel really good. It puts you in a state almost like meditation. Getting to see the world from someone else’s perspective also brings a new energy and light to your own situation.
Always remember, that once you have the right information about how your body really works, you can start making health choices that finally start to work for you! You can do this - the science of your body is on your side!to your FLO,AlisaGood things come in threes:
I want to hear from you!
First, do you struggle with stress? Second, how do you choose to relax? Third, everyone you know is hormonal – spread a little good ovary karma and share this article on social ;)
Need more Hormone Help?
If you’re needing some health upgrading, it’s time you started you looking into what’s going on with your hormones.I’ve designed a 4 day hormone detox and evaluation to help you understand exactly what’s out of whack and how you can start getting back to balance so that your hormones no longer have to suffer.Click here to get your FREE detox and evaluation!