I wanted to take a minute to say thank you to you! Thank you for reading the FLO blog, for participating in the discussions, and sharing our articles and information with your friends. I hope you find information that has helped to change your health and your life. There is more and more research mounting that supports the fundamental tenants of the FLO lifestyle. As well as the mounting scientific studies that back up the FLO protocol as the right method for preventing and treating PCOS, PMS, infertility, fibroids, and other hormone-centric health issues. But this is not news and we’ve been breaking this news to you for years.I’m also proud to have been able to bring you groundbreaking research in the fields of nutrition and functional medicine, often long before that information has hit the headlines in the mainstream. As a graduate of John Hopkins University and a health advocate for many women, I see it as my privilege to keep on top of the latest game-changing investigations and studies and bring them to you. And I am always very happy when I see research that we’ve shared with you eventually become viral stories from the New York Times. It is my pleasure to make sure FLO Living followers are kept not just up-to-date, but ahead of the curve when it comes to what’s happening in women’s health because I want you to be healthy. I want you to enjoy feeling good all month long which is how your body is designed to function. Knowing what to avoid when making choices is just as important as knowing what to eat to balance your hormones and avoid major health risks.I wanted to put together a must-know list of findings from the most major groundbreaking research that we at FLO Living have shared regarding women’s health.
- Menstruation is now a 5th Vital Sign of Health - In December 2015 ACOG announced its recommendation that menstruation be viewed as the 5th vital sign (alongside blood pressure et al.) and be charted and tracked for information on a woman’s health. Back in 2013 I went on the Dr. Oz show to tell the nation to look at their period’s color, consistency, and flow in order to find out more about their hormonal health, fertility and the health of their cycles. I have long advocated an active and observant relationship with the female cycle as an entry point to treating many health issues from PMS to PCOS. I recently developed the V-Sign Quiz, which provides immediate health advice and information based on easily observable indicators provided by your period.
- Sugar is Killing You - Just this month, September 2016, we’ve seen mainstream acceptance of knowledge I have worked with for many years - that good fats are healthy and an important part of any diet, and sugars are the real cause of weight gain and health problems. The FLO living protocol contains a lot of good fats from nuts, seeds, avocados, coconut oil and fish oil, but I recommend zero sugar, including most sweeteners aside from a small amount of coconut nectar or honey or a date or two!
- Toxic Chemicals in Everyday Products Disrupts Hormones - This year has seen an explosion of media coverage on toxic chemicals in everyday products like nail varnish, furniture, household cleaners, cosmetics and their harmfulness has consistently been connected back to hormonal disruption. In my book WomanCode, which came out in Spring 2014 I encouraged women to cleanse their bathroom cabinets and cleaning closets of non-natural products in order to gain hormonal balance and good health. I’ve written about it on my blog many times too in the last few years.
- Tampon Chemicals Increase Health Issues - Chemicals in tampons and pads are increasingly being scrutinized for their health risks. I have discussed the potential for regular tampons to cause problems with your vaginal and hormonal health.More and more women are choosing either menstrual cups, organic, 100% cotton pads and tampons, or period panties, over regular femcare products with increased focus in the media on the potentially harmful chemicals in those dominant brands. I wrote a post on my Diva cup back in 2012 and it’s great to see such widespread and vocal period-centric campaigns get answers in the form of innovation and education.
- Low Fiber Intake Increases Cancer Risk - Early in 2016 a new study revealing a diet high in fiber could combat the risk of breast cancer was widely reported. One of the pillars of the FLO Living protocol is increasing the healthy function of the liver via fiber intake, in order to help the body process excess estrogen that can build up if not eliminated (due on the xenoestrogens in so many products). Excess estrogen is a root cause of reproductive cancers in women.
- Metformin Increases Dementia Risk - The research is piling up that connects use of the common PCOS medication Metformin and cognitive decline (a precursor to dementia). I have long advocated for the exhaustion of all natural treatments for PCOS for women, prior to choosing to try this medication. PCOS is often very treatable without turning to drugs. And I always encourage those who do choose to use this medication to plan on taking it short term only, to be sure to avoid these side effects.
- Triclosan is Dangerous for Fertility - The FDA recently banned the use of chemical triclosan (commonly found in antibacterial soaps but also toothpaste). This story went viral with many shocked by the decision. I personally was not shocked, in fact, I have been talking about the dangers of triclosan for many, many years and have flagged up it’s endocrine disruptive properties and the link to increasing infertility rates. But be careful, they just said it would still be ok to use it in toothpaste, but you are in the FLO community, so you will be better prepared to shop safely.
Always remember, that once you have the right information about how your body really works, you can start making health choices that finally start to work for you! You can do this - the science of your body is on your side!to your FLO,AlisaGood things come in threes:
I want to hear from you!
First, are you surprised by any of this research mentioned here? Second, have you used Metformin? Third, everyone you know is hormonal – spread a little good period karma and share this article on social ;)
Is Your Period Healthy?
How do you know if your hormones are healthy? The answer is in your 5th vital sign - your period. The color of your flow, frequency of your period, and symptoms you have each month can tell you a lot about your health. There are 5 different V-SIGN TYPES, and knowing which one you have will help you get healthy now and prevent disease in the future. Click here to take The V-SIGN TYPE™ Quiz NOW