Having hormonal acne as an adult can be miserable. We all expect hormonal acne to stop happening once we reach our 20s, but this isn’t always the case. Believe me, I know. Before I created, and then lived, the Flo Living protocol it took me 1.5 hours just to leave the house - my face and back were covered in cystic hormonal acne that I would have to cover with heavy makeup just to feel confident enough to carry on with my life. Hormonal acne can come with a shift in our cycle - like going from our ovulation phase to pre-menstruation phase, or it can come with a shift in our age as our hormonal patterns change from our 20s to our 30s. If you’re suffering with hormonal acne right now - I sympathize - and I have some great news. Hormonal acne is very responsive to treatment, healing (and then prevention) using natural supplements. The right choice and the right use of natural supplements can see your acne gone in just a couple of months.
My own experience with hormonal acne
Now, when I had acne I tried everything my doctor would give me. I was desperate to improve the way my skin looked, and the way I felt about myself. I imagine you’ve also gone through a list of potions and pills, hoping each would work for you. I personally tried a long course of antibiotics to stop the acne, which permanently stained my teeth slightly yellow (to this day!) and destroyed my gut microbiome so badly that I spent my entire freshman year of college with viruses, yeast infections and flu-like symptoms. I tried Retinol-A cream and Salicylic Acid and Benzoyl Peroxide thinking I could heal my skin from the outside and just fix the surface of the issue. Needless to say, they didn’t work.The problem with all of the treatments for acne that you’ve probably been offered, or tried already, is that they don’t solve the most common cause of an adult woman’s acne issues - her hormones. In fact, antibiotics and the birth control pill only worsen the hormonal imbalance that is triggering the hormonal acne. A combination of two health problems underpins the development of hormonal acne - a damaged and depleted gut microbiome and a deficiency in key miconutrients for skin health. These lead to hormonal imbalance and the development of acne as a result. Once I figured out how to eat and live to support my hormones with the Flo Living protocol my skin cleared up, and it’s been beautifully clear ever since.
How to use natural supplements to stop hormonal acne
It’s important to remember with natural supplements that they are great if you want to speed up the process of healing and recovery because you’re at a critical point with your acne. With hormonal acne, using natural supplements every day can get you to where you want to be much more quickly than food alone. However, your body holds a delicate balance of nutrients and minerals. Taking in too much of one via supplements can cause an imbalance in another. Food is a gentler, more natural, and more sensitive way of giving your body what it needs. But, if you’re reading this right now with raging hormonal acne and you want it gone ASAP, supplements are here to help that happen more quickly. Once you get back your clear skin, you can lower the amount of supplements you take, and allow your diet - food - to support your skin health. Hormonally-supportive foods and fewer supplements can then help you maintain the skin you love.
My top 5 natural supplements for preventing hormonal acne
- Magnesium. A lack of magnesium causes skin inflammation. Taking magnesium with calcium combined in supplement form can lower the amount of C-reactive proteins in your body which cause this inflammation. Calcium is part of our tissue matrix - bones, cells, and skin - and very important for skin cell renewal.
- Omega-3s. Getting your omega-3 fatty acids in fish or flax oil will give you almost instant results. Clearer, softer, smoother skin as well as stronger hair and nails - you can see it happen in days. They have a big picture, whole body affect, as well as results in the short term. Take a good fish oil or flaxseed oil brand.
- Zinc. Zinc deficiency is a very common issue for many women. When we are deficient in zinc our pores become easily irritated by bacteria and show redness. A large-scale scientific study actually concluded that zinc supplementation is very effective even when compared to commonly prescribed antibiotics. Try Thorne’s high potency zinc capsules. I also recommend having a little bit of grass-fed liver every week as part of a meal or as a snack. It’s full of copper and vitamin A. The copper will balance out the zinc in your body and the vitamin A is what your liver needs to detoxify from excess hormones. A well-functioning liver boosts your absorption of all vitamins and minerals and prevent deficiencies developing in the first place.
- Probiotics. We need probiotics for a healthy gut. A common symptom of a damaged and depleted microbiome is acne and other skin issues like rosacea. It’s particularly important with hormonal acne as your microbiome assists your body in processing and eliminating excess estrogen. If you’ve been on the Pill or antibiotics for any length of time, probiotics could be key to getting your skin back on track. I like Jarrow’s Stable-Dophilus formula.
- B Vitamins. Your skin needs B-vitamins to regenerate and renew as they provide the energy all of your cells need for fuel. Taking a good B-complex every day that includes a high level of B6 will target hormonal or pre-menstrual acne. B6 prevents skin inflammation and over-production of sebum (the oil your skin produces at can create acne issues).
Always remember, that once you have the right information about how your body really works, you can start making health choices that finally start to work for you! You can do this - the science of your body is on your side!to your FLO,AlisaGood things come in threes:
I want to hear from you!
First, do you have hormonal acne? Second, have you used the Pill or antibiotics to treat hormonal acne? Third, everyone you know is hormonal – spread a little good ovary karma and share this article on social ;)
Need more Hormone Help?
If you’re needing some health upgrading, it’s time you started you looking into what’s going on with your hormones.I’ve designed a 4 day hormone detox and evaluation to help you understand exactly what’s out of whack and how you can start getting back to balance so that your hormones no longer have to suffer.Click here to get your FREE detox and evaluation!