My big secret to increasing the speed of weight loss is by increasing my fat intake. Yep - you heard me correctly - women have to EAT FAT to LOSE FAT (click to tweet).And yes, it’s certain fats, as not all fats are created equal. The fats I’m talking about are MCT’s - Medium chain triglycerides. The more of these you have, the better your metabolism works! And this kind of fat actually heals some of the underlying hormonal problems that are slowing down your metabolism to begin with! The best source of this is coconut oil and it’s my secret weight loss weapon! I make eggs with it, I put it in smoothies - I personally have about 2 tablespoons a day, plus a whole avocado a day - good fats keep your hormones sexy, slim, and young!Did you know that coconut oil isn’t just great for your skin and hair, it can also help you to heal your thyroid, lose weight, have more energy and fix your periods? And it only takes two to three tablespoons per day to have these wondrous effects on your health.I encourage WomanCoders to use coconut oil when cooking their greens, in place of butter on gluten free bread, and in their oatmeal, as well as replace moisturizers and makeup removers with this incredibly versatile substance.
How Coconut Oil Speeds Weight Loss
- Coconut oil contains medium-chain fatty acids which are absolutely essential for building hormones (also known as medium-chain triglycerides). These fatty acids are not found in many other oils, making the coconut kind pretty unique.
- These medium-chain triglycerides help balance out our progesterone and estrogen levels which leads to a boosted sex drive, regular and pain-free periods, no PMS, healthy fertility and great skin.
- Hormones are stabilized in a lipid or fat ring. It’s in this lipid ring that they circulate around the body and reach their necessary destinations. Our hormones need good fats to develop this fat inner tube and float around the bloodstream. Coconut oil helps us make hormones and helps them get to where they want to go.
- We’ve gotten used to thinking of oils as fattening, and many of them are, but coconut oil’s medium-chain fatty acids actually speed up your metabolism and promote increased weight loss. A 2002 study published in the Journal of Nutrition showed that coconut oil can increase energy, help with weight control and keep you feeling fuller and more satisfied for longer when compared to the long-chain fatty acids found in the likes of olive oil. Long-chain fatty acids are actually used to promote weight gain in livestock, so you can see where our oil fears may have started!
- Coconut oil balances thyroid function as it has the ability to transform cholesterol into pregnenolone, which is one of the essential building blocks for thyroid hormone-making. It even increases basal body temperature, which is very important for those with low thyroid function.
- Those who suffer from inflammation symptoms of the gut such as Crohn’s disease have found coconut oil to be healing - both in repairing tissue and preventing the development of harmful bacteria that can hurt your microbiome. The medium-chain fatty acids are actually a lot like a human mother’s milk in the way they act on the body and as such, just like with breast milk, they have amazing properties of the antibacterial and antimicrobial kind. Coconut oil contains lauric acid (more than any other substance), which protects against infection from viruses, bacteria, yeast, parasites and fungi. Lauric acid inactivates the unhealthy and harmful microbes in your gut that can lead to all kinds of hormonal issues (for more on this read my guide to your microbiome).
5 Ways to Get Coconut Oil in Your Diet Every Day
The great thing is coconut oil is super easy and simple to use! It can withstand high temperatures so can be used for roasting vegetables as well as sautéing greens without breaking down or degenerating. It can be kept at room temperature for up to a year with no concerns for it turning rancid. It’s both a solid and a liquid so it can be used in lieu of butter or in lieu of milk. The best kind to pick up at the supermarket is cold-pressed virgin coconut oil.5 cool ways to use more coconut oil every day:
- Stir a tablespoon into your favorite hot drink to give you an energy boost and to make it taste smooth and almost creamy.
- Add it into kale-based or date-based smoothies (or mix all three!).
- Use it to cook your eggs and greens in the morning - it takes away the slight bitter taste of collards or spinach.
- Substitute butter for coconut oil when baking breads and desserts.
- Apply as a moisturizer anywhere and everywhere.
Always remember, that once you have the right information about how your body really works, you can start making health choices that finally start to work for you! You can do this - the science of your body is on your side!to your FLO,AlisaGood things come in threes:
I want to hear from you
First, do you think you could benefit from eating more coconut oil?Second, will you try out any of the 5 ways of getting more coconut oil daily? How do they work for you? Let me know and share pics! Third, You know every one you know is hormonal – spread a little good ovary karma and share this article on social media ;)
Need more Hormone Help?
If you’re needing some health upgrading, it’s time you started you looking into what’s going on with your hormones.I’ve designed a 4 day hormone detox and evaluation to help you understand exactly what’s out of whack and how you can start getting back to balance so that your hormones no longer have to suffer.Click here to get your FREE detox and evaluation!